Monday, April 30, 2007

Participant Update

Occasionally the FV3 Triathlon blog receives training updates from contestants. We have found them to be informative and sometimes entertaining. Below is an update on Curt "Floater" Huffmire and his training partner Jeff "Week of Rest" Farr - or better known as Team Huff'n Farr.

Jeff Farr completed his latest actuarial test last Tuesday and decided to take the rest of the week off before beginning training. Of course, I couldn't stand to wait for him any longer, so I waded into Greenbrook pool Saturday night, with the family there to cheer me on. Turns out they were mostly laughing at me. First off, I can't figure out the breathing thing. Each time I turn up to breath I choke on a swig of water that I
inhale. So I started doing the back stroke, until I clobbered an unsuspecting neighbor who strayed into my lane. So using a combination of six strokes (I made up several of my own) I finally completed four laps (~200 m) taking considerably longer than McCraney's rumored time to complete the whole event. To make matters worse, Jillyn hopped in and knocked out the same 200 m with no problem and declared that, rather than team up for the event, she is going solo and plans to make waves. Then Katelyn followed suit and beat my 200 m time by more than a minute. Is there a youth category for this event?

Well, Farr and I are going to get more serious about this - at least for a couple of days - so Farr came by this morning before seminary and we knocked out 8.5 miles with the bikes. You should have seen Farr on Jillyn's girl bike, with his fancy black open fingered gloves and flowered bike helmet. However, it was Farr that set the pace with his GPS tracking system. I am going to convince him to go big and make the Costco bike purchase. Tomorrow its back in the pool for training Day 2 (Huff N' Farr Style) (just as soon as they round up all the alleged "floaters" and decontaminate the pool - absolutely no connection to any Huffmire kids.)

We congratulate Team Huff'n Farr on their progress towards completing their first triathlon! We speak for the entire FV3 Triathlon community when we say, "we look forward to dodging you on race day."

[Beau Mc Craney adds, "Curt, breath out when your face is under water and breath in when you're face is out of water. It will limit the amount of water that gets into your mouth."]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First of all, there were no flowers on the helmet. Second, Huff had the same "fancy black open fingered gloves" I had. In fact, he talked me into wearing them--he said it was the "cool thing to do" and that his mom told him they would make him "go super fast." Lastly, it was a very manly girl bike.

Everybody should come out to the Greenbrook pool tomorrow morning to see Huff splashing around wearing his wetsuit in the swimming pool. See you there (I wouldn't miss it for the world). We'll see if he has taken Beau's advice about the whole inhaling/exhaling thing.